IS MARRIAGE AN ACHIEVEMENT?




A recent debate has sparked up online, especially on the popular social media platform called “Twitter”. Is Marriage an achievement or not?
 
Now it is no news that in the county where we live, once you reach a certain age, your parents, aunties and uncles start dropping subtle or not so subtle hints that you need to find a man or woman to settle down with, to build a home with, to start a family with. Most youths of nowadays, under this unnecessary pressure begin to feel the need to get married immediately and this leads to all sorts of calamity and miss-marriage; I will explain later.

Don’t get me wrong, marriage is a beautiful thing. Being able to find someone who you voluntarily want to spend the rest of your life with and someone who feels the same way is a wonderful thing. 

A lot of people have different reasons to get married. It may be that they have found their soulmate, they are pregnant, they are being forced or pressurized by their parents or relatives to do so, age is no longer on their side, or the one that worries me the most “because it is the next thing to do”

Now I have never been married. I have never even been in a long term relationship but that does not stop me from sharing my opinion on this topic.

Marriage is a sacred union, something you should go into because you want to, because you cannot see yourself with any other person that the person you want to get married to. Not because it is the next thing to do.

 
Is Marriage an Achievement? Ask anybody this question and watch them go all out. In my opinion Marriage is not an achievement. It is a thing of joy; it is a beautiful thing but I do not in any way consider it an achievement. You all may have conflicting views but this is just my opinion.


Calling marriage an achievement means that anybody who fails to get married on or before a certain age is a failure. Calling marriage an achievement means that if you have acquired all the degrees in the world, built an empire for yourself, won the Nobel prize or even found the cure for Cancer, the mere fact that you are not married means that you are a failure and all those other things you ‘think’ you have achieved is nothing.

Would I love to get married someday? Yes, I would love to. But I would not feel pressurized or feel like I am backsliding because of the mere fact that I am not married. I would get married when a find I man whom I love and I see myself spending the rest of my life with. 


It is because of this notion that “Marriage is an achievement” that a lot of ladies take all sorts of tacky and nonsense behavior from men because they want him to get married to them. 

Ladies, any attitude a guy you are currently dating is exhibiting that you find intolerable to live with and you have talked to him about said attitude and he has refused to change; please end that relationship. You cannot change a person you couldn’t change while you were dating, when you get married. You just cannot. So be guided. Same applies to the men. 

Marriage is a beautiful thing but definitely NOT an achievement.

Thanks for reading.

I would like to know what you feel about this in the comment section. Do you consider marriage an achievement? Tell me about it in the comment section below.



Want to stay in touch? Follow me on 

Twitter @paseomobolanle
Instagram @omobolanlepase
I am always active and I also always follow back. 

1 comment:


  1. Whether you'll be moving on with your partner or without your partner, it's important that you learn how to move on. Good luck.

    Divorce with children

    ReplyDelete

COPYRIGHT © 2017 PASE OMOBOLANLE. Powered by Blogger.