LIFE IN NIGERIAN LAW SCHOOL, KANO CAMPUS || 20 QUESTIONS WITH UKANWOKE CHUKS AUSTIN (LOWKEY).

September 18, 2019




Hello guys, welcome back to my blog. I hope your day was as good as mine. Recently I have found peace. Like real peace. I can’t really explain it and where its coming from; maybe it’s from finishing my Bar Finals or whatever, but recently I’ve been at peace with a lot of things happening in life.

A few weeks back, I blogged about my experience in the Nigerian law school (click here to read about it) and I promised you guys that I would be doing this series on the blog where I interview people from the six law school campuses about their experience in their various campuses.

The main aim of this blog post is to act as a guide to future Nigerian Law School students and to help them to make an informed decision while choosing the campus they would like to be posted to.


I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed conducting the interview and editing the blog post.

Lets begin with Kano Campus!!


  Ø  Hello, Please Introduce yourself to the readers

       Hello everyone, my name is Ukanwoke Chuks Austin (Lowkey), I am from Ohuhu in       Umuahia North local government Area in Abia state.

  Ø  What university did you attend?

I’m a graduate of Abia state University uturu.


  Ø  How did you feel when you found out you were posted to Kano Campus?

When I was posted to Nigerian law school kano Campus I became scared to go because it was almost time for Elections in Nigeria and we all know what happens in the North during this period, coupled with the fact that I haven’t been to the northern part of Nigeria before; it was a hard decision for me to make, but I had to brace up and go.


  Ø  Was it easy locating your campus?

Kano state is very far from Aba, I had to join a Night bus to Kano because there was no direct bus to go there; with the aid of my smart phone Google map it wasn’t hard for me to locate my campus in Bagauda,kano state.


  Ø  How was your first week on campus, did you experience any difficulties?

It was harmattan season already in my first week on campus, it wasn’t easy for me, the temperature was cold and there was dust in the air, I experienced difficulties in bathing cold water in the mornings but the hotel portals were nice enough to boil water for us every day.


  Ø  What is the most preferred means of transportation? What is the transport fare from the airport?

Apart from using flight to go another alternative of going was joining a bus to Abuja then continuing the journey to Kano the next day. I cannot really say how much transport fare was from the airport to the campus.


  Ø  How was your registration process?

First week is meant for registration and this was really stressful.


  Ø  How were the hostels like in your campus? Were there different sizes of hostels? How many people in a room?

There are many standard hostels in the school, some hostels are bungalows while others are story buildings however the sizes of the rooms are different from each, some rooms can contain ten people while others can contain only four people with six spring beds.


  Ø  Did you bond with your roommates easily?

Eight of my roommates were from the northern part of Nigeria and it was my first time staying with people outside my tribe (Igbo), so it took some time before we started bonding with each other in our room and in the lecture hall.


  Ø  Were contrabands allowed in the hostel? If yes, what kind of contrabands?

Use of contrabands was highly prohibited in the hostels, you cannot be in possession of an electrical iron, boiling ring, gas cooker, stove, fridge etc.


  Ø  How were the lectures and lecturers in your campus? What time did lectures begin and end?

In my opinion, Kano campus has the best law lecturers you can think of, all the authorities in Nigerian law school are currently in kano campus, Dr.Agaba, Dr Dadem, Mr Badmus, Mr Obi Okoye etc . We would come to class by 8am sign in till 9am, once its 9am lectures begin and end by 4pm daily then we sign out for the day.

  

  Ø  In class, were people assigned individual seats or you can seat wherever you like? What is the repercussion of not seating on your assigned seat?

No one had a permanent seat in class, your punctuality determines your seat for the day.


  Ø  How was your reading pattern? Did you have any time to read after lectures each day?

Immediately I sign out of class, I rush down to the library to study my notes for the day then solve tasks for the next days’ lecture till 8pm.


  Ø  Let’s talk about the dress code, what was the dress code like in your campus? Were there any strict rule on dressing to class?

Dress code is taken seriously in kano campus, if you aren’t properly dressed with your Identification card you can’t access the library, lecture hall nor any administrative office. Dress code was the normal White and black. White cotton shirt and black trousers with a black tie, black soaks and a black pair of shoes for the guys. For the ladies, a white shirt or camisole, with a black skirt and a black pair of shoe or a plain black gown and a black pair of shoe.


  Ø  How was the food like in your campus? Were there varieties of food vendors on campus? Was food affordable or expensive?

Mami market is a mini market in the campus with shops and varieties of food vendors like three start restaurant, crown kitchen, aunty Kate kitchen and Mr. Collins restaurant etc. The prices of food were cheap and very affordable

  
  Ø  How was your social life while in NLS? Were they any fun hang out spots?

My social life was a bit restricted because there weren’t many hangout areas in Kano campus. There was only Tiga Dam, Bagauda lake, kasali etc.


  Ø  Tell us about your externship? Did you enjoy your court and law office placement?

Well, court and chamber attachment were very tasking for me. I had to be in court everyday on or before 9am; which is when the court sits. I also had to fill my log book everyday and this was very tiring, having to recap everything that had happened for that day wasn’t what I wanted to be doing after a stressful day in court.


  Ø  How were your exams?

Bar finals examinations was a bit technical, unexpected question were asked especially in corporate law while civil litigation was full of drafts. I hope for the best when the results finally come out.

  
  Ø  What advice can you give to new NLS Students?

My advice to the new Nigerian law school students is study well and pray well.


  Ø  Can the readers contact you for further information? If yes, how can they do it?

Yes, they can. Here are my details;
IG: Lowkey0000001
Facebook: Low key
Whatsapp: 08100015472



Thank you.

Five more campuses to go. subscribe to my blog to get a notification once I upload a post on the blog. I will be posting one each week.

Want to stay in touch? Follow me on Twitter @paseomobolanleInstagram @omobolanlepaseI am always active and I also always follow back

No comments:

COPYRIGHT © 2017 PASE OMOBOLANLE. Powered by Blogger.