Dealing With Rejection || Five Things I Do To Overcome The Feeling That Comes After Rejection.

October 02, 2019



Have you ever poured out your heart and soul into a particular project, thing or person and watch it all crumble or not go your way?  Yea, I know it hurts. It would have been totally different if you had not worked so hard for it, at least then you can say you did not waste your time. Rejection is a terrible thing and I am currently getting my fair share of it.

I recently just received my first rejection letter for a job I applied for and it sucks. As I got the email I didn’t know how to react. My first instinct was to laugh, then the hot tears started rolling down. It is honestly not a good feeling.
Over the years I have learnt to handle rejection way better than I did two years ago when I wrote this blog post MY FIRST REJECTION AT THE ATM QUEUE. and here are the ways I have learnt to deal with my feelings right after I have been rejected.
  • ·         The first thing I strangely do when I have just been rejected or denied something that I earnestly wanted, is to laugh. I guess this is my period of denial, when I can’t believe what just happened.  I know this may not sit well with some people but it has helped me get to the next stage.



  • ·         The second thing I do is cry. If there anything I have learnt over the years is that, even though crying does not change anything per se, it is good for your mental health. I always just go to a quiet place and cry. A quite place because I don’t like people consoling me when I am crying. I want to cry it all out and be done with it.




  • ·         The third thing I recently started doing is talking to someone about it. It could be your sister, brother, friend, parent or someone who is in a similar situation as you are. I am not one to get emotional and tell people about all the ‘not so good’ things going on in my life; but lately I have learnt that talking about it tends to ease the pain.



  • ·         Another thing I never fail to do is to pray. Pray for guidance, for the way forward. I am a firm believer of the fact that what God doesn’t want to come your way would never even cross your path. You might have earnestly wanted that job, that promotion, that relationship to work, that salary increase, that baby, but unfortunately or fortunately God had other plans. He knows how our life is going to play out from the day we were born to the day we die. So whenever I have just received a rejection or something I had wanted didn’t go as planned, I go to the one person who knows me more than anyone on this earth and firstly thank him for the rejection and ask him for the way forward.




  • ·         The last thing I always do is, pick myself back up. This is one of the key things. Don’t let that rejection bring you done for good! You cannot keep wallowing in that rejection for long. A person is not a failure merely because he failed at a particular thing; a person is a failure if after failing, he fails to pick himself back up and start all over again.




The good thing about failure is that you get to know where you have made mistakes and improve yourself for the next opportunities.

A rejection can make you a better or a worse person, its up to you to decide how you want to handle it.

No comments:

COPYRIGHT © 2017 PASE OMOBOLANLE. Powered by Blogger.